Thursday, May 15, 2014

McGuffy's Eclectic Readers

        While wandering around my favorite thrift store the other day, I came across a set of 1909 readers, tucked away on a back shelf. I assume these were from someone's grandma, and of course no one now has any use for them, so they went to the thrift store. Who cares, they can sit on a shelf collecting dust for a few years until they finally get thrown away. I DON'T THINK SO!!! I just about dropped my wallet when I saw them. They are in almost perfect condition - never read, but the edges of the covers are a bit worn. They probably got moved around quite a bit. They were all different prices, but the whole set (primer through sixth reader) cost only $23. That's way more than I've ever spent at a thrift store, and more than I ever hope to, but it was completely worth it! Haha, I actually only had $15 with me, but I convinced my mom she should help me buy them for her future grandchildren. So I was able to get them after all.




        Aren't they beautiful?!?! Yes, I know. I was reading through some of them on the way home, and it struck me how much education has gone down in the past century. I had known this before, but this solidified my views on the subject. It is pretty sad how kids are taught a bunch of nonsense, but it has to take up all of their time to do it. Even in the primer, the passages are educational; one was explaining how a bee hive works and the jobs of each type of bee, and the next was a short story about the importance of obedience to one's parents. They are so varied, and yet each has Christian morals and education tied into the reading work. I really can't wait to use these! I may have to find someone else's children to teach, though, because it will be too long until I can teach my own. :)

Blessings,
Reyna

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a GREAT find! I don't think I could ever walk away from those if I saw them in a store. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, those are such a find! Lovely! Oh, and I responded to your Liebster tag here: http://heavenly-aspirations.blogspot.com/2014/05/of-questions-and-answers.html Have a great day, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your answers were delightful!

      Blessings,
      Reyna

      Delete