Monday, January 12, 2015

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Tag

        I was tagged by my dear friend Kili over at The Heirs of Durin for a BOTFA q&a! I'm sorry I haven't posted in such a long time, but I have been busy and stressed (I'll do a life update post sometime soon). If you don't want spoilers, umm, don't read this post. I can't help myself. Here are the rules:

1. You must be tagged in order to take the q&a.


2. You must tag(notify)at least three other bloggers (or whatever they are on)for this q&a.


3. You must answer the following questions to the best of your ability.


4. You must have seen The Battle of the Five Armies to be tagged/take the quiz.
        And the questions themselves:
1. Tell the story of how you came to see the movie(s) or got 'into' Tolkien in the first place. I'm sure I've told this story before, but I'll do it again. It's all part of the journey and now is a fitting time to go over it once more. I first read the Hobbit when I was, I don't know, maybe eight or so? It was 'for school', but I loved it and it was certainly one of my favorite books. I read the Lord of the Rings a year or so later, and didn't go crazy over them yet, but still really liked them. I'm a sucker for good literature. One day, when I had a bad earache, my mom suggested we put the movies on since I had read the books, and surprisingly, I didn't like them one bit. I don't know if it was because I was just too young (I was probably about eleven at the time) or if I was in too much pain to even think about what I was watching, but I don't think I even finished the first disk. A year or so later, after reading the books a few more times, my brother decided he wanted to see the movies since he had just read the books for school. (Notice how I didn't put that in quotations? He doesn't read novels unless he has to, LOL.) I sat down to watch Fellowship with him, a bit grudgingly; I didn't even plan on giving it another chance. I fell in love. With the Shire, the rolling hills, lush trees and shining ponds, and the peaceful farming life. With hobbit holes and the lovely wooden architecture of Bree. I was enchanted by the natural magic and beauty of the elves, held in suspense by the mysterious danger of the ring and the wraiths, and utterly enraptured by the whole thing. Needless to say, we watched the whole trilogy through. I was IN LOVE, people. I'm pretty sure we ended up watching it all again at least once also. We saw the first Hobbit movie in 2012, but I didn't remember much about it after; that was before I got better at watching movies in the theaters. Soon after, I met someone who quickly became a very close friend because of Tolkien, and I watched it with her. All the BTS, all the obscure trivia, we knew it all. In the year of 2013, I watched all three movies five times. No joke. And then when DOS came out, it was madness. My obsession rose to another level and continued from there to where it is now. You know how crazy I am over BOTFA. I still choke up whenever I have to talk about it to someone. And that's my story.


2. Who are your three favorite characters in the Hobbit Trilogy? Ugh. I like so many characters! Can I just say Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, Thranduil (because cold cruel selfish fabulousness turning to kind and understanding fabulousness, obviously), and of course, Fili and Kili? I'm sorry, I can't do three.
3. Did you cry in the Battle of the Five Armies, and if so, which scene(s) and what type (sniffling, sobbing, choke-crying)?  Haha, I've been asked this question so many times! Only usually someone asks "Were you crying whe-" and before they finish I just say yes because I was crying the whole time. I was sobbing, choke-crying, gasping, everything. I feel awful for everyone else in the theater.
4. Were any deaths compelling to you, and if so, whose? Thorin's death was probably the saddest for me. I was sobbing already, but when he said that quote from the book I completely lost it. I was pretty much wailing. 

         Of course, Fili's and Kili's deaths were also almost just as bad. Fili died all alone, brutally stabbed in the back by Azog, and although I DO NOT SHIP KILIEL, Kili's death defending Tauriel was heartbreaking as well. And he was crying and ASDFGHJKL FEELS. 



5. Over all, were you satisfied with the movie itself? Yes! It has to be taken separately from the book as it is NOT a direct adaptation in the least, but it is amazing. For my in-depth opinion, read my review. 

6. Describe the movie in one word. Gah, just one? I don't know if I can do that. It's a toss-up between 'heartbreaking' and 'epic'.

         Thank you Kili dear for tagging me! You made me cry again. :( Oh, and for those of you who don't know, Kili is Aspen from Texas Rebel Girl. She's awesome. I'm only going to nominate one person because everyone else I would nominate has already been nominated (how many times can I say that word?). Note (1/14/15): I am now nominating one more person.
Miss Jane Bennet at Classic Ramblings
Arwen Undomiel aMeanwhile, In Rivendell
Rules:

1. You must be tagged in order to take the q&a.


2. You must tag(notify)at least three other bloggers (or whatever they are on)for this q&a.


3. You must answer the following questions to the best of your ability.


4. You must have seen The Battle of the Five Armies to be tagged/take the quiz.
Questions: 
1. Tell the story of how you came to see the movie(s) or got 'into' Tolkien in the first place.  
2. Who are your three favorite characters in the Hobbit Trilogy? 
3. Did you cry in the Battle of the Five Armies, and if so, which scene(s) and what type (sniffling, sobbing, choke-crying)?  
4. Were any deaths compelling to you, and if so, whose?  
5. Over all, were you satisfied with the movie itself? 
6. Describe the movie in one word. 
Blessings,
Reyna  

5 comments:

  1. THRANDUILLLL.
    Ahahaha.
    Oh dear, that was a very bad way to start a comment, wasn't it? :P But anyways, I loved your tag answers! Especially the one about Thranduil--he got some character development and I was happy since he's a definite favorite of mine in the book. :-)
    Haha, you could have just called the Line of Durin one person (er, Dwarf) and then you'd only be one over the limit. ;-)
    I love your Tolkien story! I've made a lot of close friends through my love for his books as well; Tolkien is definitely a huuuge fandom for me. (As a matter of fact, I'm listening to the LotR musical right now. I need a break from "The Last Goodbye" and "I See Fire", heh.)
    UGHHHH, THOSE PICTURES YOU PUT...I'm going to cry again. PJ really needs to stop making his movies so feelsy and just do a Line of Durin sitcom. :P
    Okay, I think that's about it--thanks again for tagging me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post!

    I'm glad somebody else actually liked BotFA...almost everyone I've talked with disliked it and I'm just over here thinking, "But I liked it..." And yes. Thorin's death. The feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, ahem, by the way, I'm Arwen, and you've got a cool blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Reyna! I'm going to have great fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the by, I've tagged you in my "Tookish tag" on my blog:D

    ReplyDelete