Friday, February 28, 2014

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Grain and Gluten Free, Gaps)


        I discovered this recipe when we were still fully on the GAPS Diet - now we eat a bit of homemade  sourdough every now and again - and was making it at least once a week for a while. I originally came across the recipe here, and have somewhat altered it to better fit my taste (less sweet, more lemon, etc). I have to admit, I never followed this recipe completely, even the first time I made it. I think I have a disorder where I just can't follow a recipe exactly - I don't really measure and intentionally add more or less of something I want. Most of the time it works, and then once in a while... Disaster strikes!
        I made these muffins today, and they did turn out well. Here is my improved recipe, but I don't measure any of this stuff so it is a slightly different texture every time. GAPS recipes are for the most part very forgiving, so that makes life a bit easier.

  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (I use just a bit less to avoid the muffins being too dry)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (ours is homemade with vanilla beans and vodka)
  • 4 large eggs or 5 small
  • Zest from two medium lemons
  •  Juice from one lemon
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds


        My procedure is a bit different than most people's, it makes it so I don't have to melt the coconut oil. Feel free to add your ingredients in pretty much any order you choose.

  • Mix together the coconut flour and the maple syrup/honey until it forms a very thick paste. It will be runnier if you add more sweetener.

  • Add the vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Our vanilla is in an old root beer bottle with a cork.

  • Add the eggs and mix in:
 
  • Zest the lemons and then squeeze the juice from one in. Mix thoroughly.

  • Mix in the poppy seeds. You see how bright yellow the batter is? Fresh eggs, people! They're full of vitamins and minerals!



    • Grease your muffin cups or just line them with muffin wrappers. Our pans are all so old that everything sticks like glue, so I have to use foil. I know it's not the healthiest, but I don't really have a choice.

    •  Fill the muffin cups.

    • Bake for about 22 minutes at 350 degrees, or until slightly browned on the tops. Cool for a few minutes and then eat!

            These muffins have a delicious lemon flavor and are great for breakfast. As I said before, I make these all the time, and we haven't gotten tired of them yet. They are soooooo healthy as well, so you can't feel bad about having them often. There is no grain or gluten, and only a quarter of a cup of sweetener in the whole recipe! That's only one teaspoon in each muffin! 
            Do you bake grain/gluten/sugar free? I'd love to hear some recipe ideas!

    Blessings,
    Reyna

      1 comment:

      1. Ohh! These look so yummy! If I had either lemon juice or fresh lemons I would make this. But sadly, I do not have either one at the moment. I will pin this to make later. Thanks for sharing!

        Blessings -

        ~ Aspen

        ReplyDelete