Friday, March 28, 2014

Eggnog Custard Cake (Gluten Free, Grain Free, GAPS)

         This morning, my mom asked me if I wanted to make breakfast. Of course, I said yes, and not really wanting to make the usual lemon poppy seed muffins or sourdough/sprouted flour waffles, I went to look up some recipes. Pinterest is just great like that. ;) So I found one. Our six chickens have been laying pretty well, so I found one that took more eggs than usual. Normally we have to be economical with our eggs because we don't have very many chickens, but since we have been eating a bit more sourdough and sprouted instead of all GAPS recipes (which take a lot of eggs), we have had more on hand. So six eggs it is. I originally found this recipe here, and modified it just a smidgen.

Ingredients (I'm not going to say organic before each one, but we all know that's the way to go):

  • 3/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sour cream or full-fat yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I used homemade) 
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
  • heaping 1/4 cup of coconut flour
  • 1 large banana
  • 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh, if you have them)

Method:

  • In a large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, vanilla, spices, and salt. Mix by hand or with a blender of your choice.
  • Add in melted oil and honey/maple syrup, stirring well.
  • Add coconut flour, and stir in - make sure you don't have any clumps.
  • Grease and 8" by 8" glass dish with butter or coconut oil, and pour your batter in.
  • Slice your banana and lay the pieces over the top. They should float. Sprinkle your blueberries the same way.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees. The top should be golden brown and the center should be firm. 
  • Cool for ten minutes and then cut up. The website I got it from says it makes six generous servings. We *ahem* did not find them to be too generous. 
As a note, I must say that we had this cold the day after, and I believe it was even better then!



        I got only positive feedback from this recipe, and I hope you enjoy it as well as my family!


Blessings,
Reyna

No comments:

Post a Comment