Monday, September 8, 2014

School, Goats, and Other Busy-ness

        Yes, I am aware that busy-ness is not a word. Well, it is now - it wasn't before. Writing 'business' just looked like I meant company or something of the sort, when I wanted to convey that I have been, well, BUSY! Very busy, to be exact. You may have noticed the lack of posts on this little blog of mine, and it's not because I'm lazy. Well, maybe a little. ;) 
        School has been picking up, and I have two exams next week. I'm taking two college classes and five at home, so I don't exactly have a whole lot of free time. (In case you were wondering, its Calculus w/Analytic Geometry, and Child Development and Psychology at a community college, and then French, Music, WWI History, Herbal Medicine, and Charles Dickens Literature study at home). Now don;t get me wrong, I love to learn. And I'd rather be stuck in school now than be stuck in school later; that's why I'm starting college early. So I'm not complaining, just explaining. Just kidding, that's only half true. I do need to complain every now and then. All my classes are interesting, which is nice. Although the Child Development and Psychology does have a certain amount of nonsense, I've found I really like it, and my teacher is great. She is completely open to any comments or questions, so I can add my thoughts on 'the father of psychology'. That's Freud. He's pretty funny, I must say. I laugh to myself about how stupid some of his theories are. There are some psychologists whose theories I like and agree with, however, their not all absurd. For instance, I like Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, and most aspects of Lev Vygostky's Social Learning Theory. The Calculus is, well, Calculus.I took it at home already so it's pretty easy, but it is a LOT of work nonetheless. For the subjects I have at home, it's a lot of reading, which is a blast. Right now, I'm reading Our Mutual Friend, Gray's Anatomy, Medical Herbalism, and Sir Martin Gilbert's The First World War. Fun! That wasn't sarcasm - I was serious. 
        I sold Thorin yesterday. I knew when I bought him that I most likely would not be able to keep a smelly buck on our tiny property, so I always had in the back of my mind that I would probably have to get rid of him at some point. A few weeks ago, I realized that if I didn't sell him now (at the beginning of breeding season), I would probably have to keep him for another year, and after thinking it over, I decided that was not a good idea. We are going to have two sets of baby goats in a couple months, and since we need to keep a pretty low profile here, and Thorin would have to be kept completely separate from everyone else, I didn't think that was possible. And as I'm going to be taking five classes at the community college next semester, I didn't think that I would be able to keep my sanity. It was already kind of trying this semester. Thorin was the best buck in the world. He was sweet, snuggly, was not obnoxious, and tethered well. The thing was, he was not easy-going. Eponine is so laid back, so she is very easy to keep content. Thorin constantly needed attention and company and yes, he was starting to smell pretty bad. In close quarters such as we have here, that doesn't work so well. Also, I missed having Eponine all to myself. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't sit down and snuggle her without being bowled over by a smelly buck who may or may not have just peed all over himself. So yes, he was such a good little guy, but it was time for him to move on. I posted him on Craigslist, and ended up selling him yesterday. He is worth over $300, but I sold him for a bit less, as I wanted to make sure he did sell. I wasn't to sorry to see him go, although I think that's because I don't want to let myself. It is strange not having him as part of my routine and chores, though.

He IS a cutie!


        Aside from school and goatses, I haven't been doing a whole lot. I have been knitting quite a bit, however. I am working on two shawls out of a merino/silk/alpaca blend, one for me and one for a dear friend for Christmas, as well as a shawl as a sample for the local yarn store. They told me they wanted me to do this one a while ago, and I jumped on the opportunity. Why? Because it is with Art Yarns beaded silks and cashmere! The yarn for this project - it came in a kit - is usually priced at over $75, and it is a delight to work with. That's what I like about doing samples, I get to play with fancy yarn I could never afford, and then I get to pick out a couple skeins at the shop to take home for myself! I'll be sure to post pictures when they're done.
        Yesterday my boss took all of his workers to Six Flags. It was my second time this summer, after several years of not going. I went on the big coaster there fro the first time, and laughed the whole time at the frightened screams of everyone around me. I don't get what's so fun about screaming. I thoroughly enjoy myself with a huge grin on my face. My silence earned me the title of 'Roller Coaster Zen Master', though. :)



        I'm thinking about giving my blog a makeover. Haven't decided for sure, but I think it's time for a new look. Any ideas? I don't really have many myself, to be honest.
        Please bear with me as my posts will most likely be somewhat sparse. I also have a couple of story ideas rolling around in my head and may be writing more on those than on my blog. You gotta do what you gotta do. My writerly friends will understand. ;)

Blessings,
Reyna


2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again!

    Your classes really do sound interesting (minus the calculus :p). I'm also taking Psychology at a college, and have been enjoying it. Like ya say, lots of odd thoughts in the mix but it is intriguing.

    Thorin is adorable. And I also love your goats' names. xD

    Ooohh I love the idea of a blog makeover! Those are always fun. As for ideas... I usually like to just start over from scratch with a new template, and then just trying out new looks until I find something I like. Oh! You could make a picture header, as well. I always love the look of those. :)

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! Yeah, I have been thinking about making a header, although I'm not sure what to put on it. I post about a ton of different stuff, and it would look kind of funny to have, like, movie pictures and goat pictures together. ;) I'll probably end up experimenting quite a bit, soon when I have the time... Thanks again!

      Delete